Minutes of Public Hearing
January 3, 2018
Town of Spider Lake
Sawyer County, WI
The Purpose of this Public Hearing was to obtain public comments regarding a request for a Conditional Use Permit submitted by, in part, Sawyer County Forest Crop, and, in part, the American Birkebeiner Foundation requesting to remove the current trailhead building and to replace it with a new one. Site location 12205W county Hwy OO.
The meeting was called to order by Hucker at 6:00 p.m. All commission members were in attendance, with the exception of Brandt. Alternates Thearin, and Smith were also present with Thearin participating in deliberation. Hucker noted that the only person to give testimony was Ben Popp. (The sign-in sheet will be attached to the minutes.). Hucker opened the public comment section. The notice was published in the Sawyer County Record on 12-20-2017 and 12-27-2017. There are no property owners within 500 feet of the property being that it is forest. Once the public input segment is complete, the PRC will deliberate on the proposal. Hucker described the procedure that will be followed in the public hearing. Hucker left the public comment segment of the hearing open for a period of time.
Ben Popp gave testimony that the proposed plan is to remove the current trailhead building on the south side of OO, and build a new Family Outdoor Center north of OO. The current pit toilets on the south side will stay. There will be safety measures taken for the safety of pedestrians parking on the south side lot. There will be a split rail fence that will lead to a crosswalk.
Boss discussed the site plan. Before Boss can issue a Conditional Use Permit he will need to be supplied with a final Plot Plan that needs to show all existing buildings, as well as buildings that will be demolished. The Plot Plan will also need to show the right of way set lines. Also, the Town will need to be presented with Sawyer County’s approval for the building, as well as a sanitary permit for the new building. Hucker indicated that he had heard from some former board members that there had previously been a CUP issued for the improvements at OO. Boss found none.
Just in case there was a prior CUP, it will be noted that the proposed CUP, if approved, will supersede any prior authorization for improvements at the site if there is any conflict between the CUP and any prior approval.
The applicant was advised that if the applicants wish to revise the project after a CUP is issued, it will require a new CUP application and approval. At 6:10 no one else had appeared and Hucker closed the public comment period.
Cerman asked whether the South parking lot would remain. It will but may be limited to overflow parking and locked.
Hucker asked for what documentation was provided to confirm that the County approved of the proposal. Popp will bring the motion that was approved by the County to the Board Hearing next week or provided to Boss.
Motion was made by Cerman and seconded by Mazik to recommend to the Town Board that a Conditional Use Permit be issued subject to the following conditions:
1. The CUP itself will be recorded with the Sawyer County Register of Deeds and a copy of the recorded CUP shall be provided to the Spider Lake Zoning Administrator
2. If any of the conditions of this permit are violated, the CUP may be revoked by the Town Board (resulting in the need to remove the improvements at the applicants’ expense) and the applicants are subject to the fines, forfeitures, and penalties as allowed by law.
3. The conditions of this CUP are binding upon any heirs, successors or assignees. In the event of the sale or transfer of the property, the land owner or successors will disclose the existence of the CUP to any prospective buyers.
4. The applicants will provide the Zoning Administrator with a final plot plan showing all existing structures, what structures will be demolished, right of way set lines and what materials will be used in construction of the Plaza area.
5. Receipt by the Zoning Administrator of the necessary sanitary permits for the proposed construction.
6. Applicants will otherwise comply with the town’s zoning ordinance (e.g. lighting, signs, etc.)
Motion carried 5-0
Click the link below to download the minutes as a PDF